“You can’t build a successful business alone, you need a good team around you” – Gordon Tan.
On this weeks episode of Client Heartbeat Mondays, Gordon gives you some tips on how to become a better small business leader.
This video will take you through four key areas you can focus on to improve as a leader.
- Vision: articulating a compelling end game is important. Be passionate about your end goal and offer something that inspires your staff.
- Communication: it’s important you communicate your vision with your staff. Make sure you get buy-in from them.
- Trust: one of the most important things when it comes to leadership. Gordon recommends leading by example and making sure you do what you say you’re going to do.
- Accountability: lots of technical guys struggle with the ability to let go and take yourself out of the equation Good leaders have the ability to give employees responsibility, giving them a sense of ownership. By doing this you are no-longer need to micro-managed… but remember, mkake sure you hold your employees accountable!
Watch the full video here:
Tips and Suggestions
A couple of tips to help you become a better leader.
1. Implement a 360 degree management feedback program
This is something Gordon use to do every year and involves letting employees anonymously leave you feedback on where you need to improve as a business and leader. You give your employees a performance a review, it’s only fair they can give you a review and judge your overall performance.
2. Book recommend: Naked Leadership by David Bently
This is a great book that gives you insights into the core values that successful leaders possess.
It gave me a new perspective on the ways to look at things and be a better leader.