Hiring the right salespeople can be a challenge.
In today’s episode of Client Heartbeat Mondays, Gordon takes you through six rules he used to hire the BEST salespeople for his Company.
Having spent a number of years in recruitment, Gordon saw his fair share of successful and not-so-successful salespeople. Gordon knows the key ingredients of what makes a best salesperson and has boiled it down to six rules.
Gordon’s six hiring rules:
- Presentation: Make sure your sales applicant has a professional image that you believe can build rapport with your prospects. They need to look the part.
- Hungry: The best salespeople are hungry for success and hungry for money. Often times, Gordon’s best sales hires were younger, more enthusiastic applicants that were just getting started in the industry. They tend to be more willing to go the extra mile and work their butts off for commissions.
- Cold Calling: Don’t hire someone that doesn’t like picking up the phone. Most of Gordon’s hires have all had cold calling experience.
- Social Skills: If they can’t pick up a lady at the bar, don’t hire. Just kidding, but make sure they can hold a conversation.
- Opportunity: The best salespeople are in high demand. Make sure you have an appealing offer and a commission structure that meets their ability to earn. In addition, make sure you can help your salesperson improve their conversion rates – they want to know you’re doing all you can to help them close deals. Gordon recommends finding a point of differentiation. Winning awards is a great way to show you’re better. If you don’t have any awards, see how Client Heartbeat can help you.
- Sales System: Show them you have a proven sales system. By having the correct marketing material, a lead nurturing program and other tools – the best salespeople will want to work for you.
Here’s some further reading: